Just got back from my weekly long run. Today's episode was an epic 20-miler along the gorgeous Bay Trail. This post is really a stream-of-consciousness log of the run itself, so if you're not interested, you can just skip the whole damn post. There are no pictures.

Pre-Run -- I woke up this morning a little weak from yesterday, when I did two workouts and didn't quite eat enough. I downed a Zipp Fizz for some energy, and though I still wasn't hungry, ate some eggs. An hour later, I still wasn't hungry. Ate some cereal anyway, so I'd have some carbs to burn for the run.

0:00 -- Berkeley has been covered in fog for about 72 hours straight, so it's gray and cool. I put on a long sleeve top, packed my water and GU, and headed out.

0:05 -- heart rate is low, and I'm feeling weak. Not good.

0:10 -- I used to take water every five minutes on the long days. I figured that's a bad idea, because it won't be available that frequently on the race course. I've dropped the frequency to once every ten minutes, which is closer to race conditions, but take two gulps instead of one.

0:15 -- passed Aquatic park. HR is up now, and I'm feeling a bit better.

0:30 -- really feeling my groove kick in. HR is high at 164. Dare I keep it so high? I dare.

0:50 -- GU #1. Huzzah. Oh, and ... what's this? Sunshine! How nice. It's too hot to wear sleeves now, so the shirt comes off. Ladies, aren't you jealous you can't run topless? I know you are.

1:00 -- the GU kicks in, and I'm starting to feel really good. I'm finally adjusting to the 10-minute water intervals.

1:20 -- I'm starting to feel a little stale as I approach the horse tracks. Please, iPod, serve up a good song. HUZZAH! Amazingly, the iPod shuffled out the perfect song. Karen Overton - "Your Loving Arms (Club Mix)". It propelled me through the dog park trail. So groovealicious. Rock on.

1:40 -- GU #2. Feelin good with one hour to go.

1:50 -- I notice some mile markers for a marathon going on. It must have started early, because the only runners I see who look like participants are going very slowly.

2:00 -- I need another good song to do a fast-finish mile, and iPod delivers again with Phynn - "Close Encounter".

2:30 -- I see some runners ahead who crossed paths with me earlier. As I get to them, they ask how far I'm running. "20 miles," I say. Turns out, they're doing the same. We run in together, chatting a bit. They're training for a different marathon. Good times.

2:40 -- Done and done. I feel like a fried egg. Time for some FOOD. And homework. Yuck. On the exciting side, I get to prep for my second-choice firm interview tomorrow! I LIKE the interview process here. All the firms are good, and I just get to pick my favorite, while showing each one what a charming guy I can be. It's like playing dress-up, which I also enjoy. If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Until next time, dear readers. As always, I love you all.