Your post comments are great -- someone posted as "nicksdaddy," but it can't be Dad, who claims not to be able to post. It also can't be Dad because the poster called me a tool, but Dad's not familiar with that turn of phrase.

Anyway, yesterday was the Law School Picnic for new students. Laura, in true buddy style, accompanied me so I wouldn't have to feel alone and awkward among the multitude of married couples that saturate the law schools these days. What a good friend!


The picnic was well-attended, and well-organized. I felt welcome already.


Catered food is always a plus.


There was even a band, only too willing to be photographed.

Oh yeah, and on our way to the picnic, Laura informed me that there IS soft-serve froyo in this town! Her news was music to my ears, and I went that same night after dinner to check it out. It was rocktastic.


Half a mile away, but worth every step.

Well, I finally caught the exhaustion that's been due for a few days. Guess I didn't eat enough yesterday, because I was woken up at 5am by a stark-raving-hungry stomach. I got up, ate, then ate some more, and then went for my scheduled run. It was HARD. Yeesh. A 9-miler, six miles of which were at sub-7:00 pace. Yeesh again. Anyway, when I returned home, I was greeted by the now familiar sight of the Martins hanging out with Merlin. The verdict: anyone excited about playing with a parrot is a good person.


Merlin had a great time lovin up on Martin.

After the run, I was hungry again (duh), and I used my awesome panini maker (thanks Nina and Monica!) to make a sweet chicken quesadilla. It was so tasty that I had to take a picture.


Not ultra gourmet yet, but add some garnish leaves, a dash of diced tomatoes, and maybe a side of steamed wild rice, and you'd have yourself a dish worthy of the most frou frou restaurants. I don't have the time or the stomach for such fanciful things (I can never eat too much right after a run). Lunch #2, an hour later, was just a Clif bar, and not picture-worthy. Maybe next time I'll garnish a Clif bar and snap a photo.

Why just a simple Clif bar for lunch? We were on the road! Martin, Martin, and Leif invited me out to go see the Redwood trees in Muir Park up North. It was beautiful!




These trees, hundreds of years old (some over a thousand), are the tallest living things on Earth. The sequoia trees further North are bigger around, but these Redwoods are the tallest. How tall? Well, take a look at Martin trying to snap a picture of the top of one:


Yep ... it's waaaaaaaaay up there. These things soak up 500 gallons of water per DAY. How do they get it? Well, if it's not raining, they zap it right out of the fog!

But here's a curious sight:

Tallest tree, smallest pinecone. Weird, huh?


Tree slugs. If you kiss them, they turn into lawyers. Just kidding.


From the left: Martin (visiting), Martin (visiting), and Leif (roommate).

Then we went to the top of Mount Tam, which offered a good view of the fog rolling in to SF:


Of course, what visit to the North shore would be complete without a good view of the Golden Gate?


There's Leif, snapping one on his Nikon.


Ain't the bay area grand?

Well, that's all for today.
I'm Ron Burgundy; you stay classy, San Diego.